Faulty gas appliances can be very dangerous.
Fortunately some of the toughest laws regarding rented accommodation relate to this area.
So your landlord should be taking every step to keep them safe.
In addition to the information on this page, the Gas Safe website has lots of information about both the legal aspects and landlord gas safety.
“Every year about 58 people die.
from carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning caused by faulty gas appliances and flues.
When gas does not burn properly, as with other fuels
such as coal, wood or oil, excess CO is produced which is poisonous.
taste it or smell it but CO can kill without warning in just a matter of hours.Symptoms of CO can include tiredness.
Drowsiness, headaches, giddiness, nausea.
Vomiting, pains in the chest, breathlessness, stomach pains, erratic behaviour and visual problems.
If you or your family experience the above symptoms
and you believe CO may be involved you must seek urgent medical advice.
Your doctor will need to test you for a blood or breath sample.
Be aware, CO quickly leaves the blood and tests may be inaccurate
if taken more than four hours after exposure has ceased.”
If a rented property has any gas appliances in it
(such as a gas central heating boiler, a gas fire, or a gas cooker)
the landlord must by law have it inspected by a
Gas Safe registered tradesman every twelve months.
Showing that the appliances are safe to use.
If they do not, ask them for one.
If he cannot show you a current valid certificate straight away,
confirm the request in writing to the landlord,
advising them that they are legally obliged to have the appliances certified,
and giving them a relatively short period of time to supply one.
they’re no substitute for a Gas Safe Inspection check,
but they can give you some piece of mind while the certificate is in the post.If you are suspicious about the validity of any certificate provided
you could get Carbon Monoxide detectors.
They range from very simple (and cheap)
ones with a sensitive disk that changes colour in the presence of Carbon Monoxide
to more expensive audible ones.
Whilst they cost a little bit more, audible alarms don’t rely on you noticing them –
there’s a problem they’ll tell you loudly!
if your CO alarm goes off, contact Transco’s gas emergency service on 0800 111 999.
anyone in the house feels unwell, seek medical assistance urgently.
You can also call Transco if you suspect any other types of gas emergencies, such as a gas leak.Summary
Carbon Monoxide (CO) has no taste or smell, but is poisonous,
Your landlord must have all gas appliances inspected annually by a Gas Safe registered tradesman. In an emergency Contact Transco on 0800 111 999.See the Gas Safe website for further information.
Like to know more about how Duval Heating can help you with your boiler and heating problems, even book an appointment for one of our engineers to call on you. Use our Contact page
01473 806 100
Duval Heating 1985 - 2019